Saturday 27 February 2016

How do I reduce food shopping bills...?!

I did the food shopping today as hubs was at home so he could take us in the car instead of me having to walk there and do it! It was my first 'big' shop in Lidl and I came away having spent £76.49.
I was quite disappointed as I thought I could do better but...hubs and daughter snuck into the trolley a comic, chocolate and waffles. I also bought some seeds as I want to grow my own fruit and veg, and to start making the garden look beautiful with some flowers. Only got one packet of flower seeds though as I'm not too sure what to plant.

So if I take those items off (they won't be bought next time!) the total would have been £69.06. That's for the 3 of us for 2 weeks and including a steak for hubs. Considering the average UK shopper spends £167.20 fortnightly on food I suppose I'm not doing too bad am I?



I did do a stock take before but as I am self employed I like to keep a good stock to cover the months where I won't be earning enough to buy them (a few months of the year). I would also usually buy 2 medium chickens but I bought one medium and one large because next Sunday is Mothers Day and I'm having my mum and her partner round for lunch.

It's Saturday night and I'm busy looking over my receipt trying to see what I could cut back on in future! The marshmallows and white chocolate were bought for baking something for Easter with my daughter. Same for the digestives, going to make a cheesecake using those for the base.

I couldn't believe how cheap some of the stuff was though. Bread 36p, shampoo 55p jumped out at me. Definitely going to compare it all to the other supermarkets now though and see what I can get cheaper in them, if anything!

After my daughters bath tonight I put in her old car seat cover to soak as it's gotten mouldy from sitting in the garage and I want to sell it. Re-using the water! It will be scooped up to flush the toilet with after. Under the cover I found £1.50! Love finding lost money, even if it is only a tiny bit. xx

2 comments:

  1. I'm reading this eating my lunch having just come in from shopping in Lidl : )

    Have you had a look at https://web.archive.org/web/20130821121357/http://cheap-family-recipes.org.uk/cookingadvice.html

    It grew out of some threads on the Moneysavingexpert forum and should help a family of 4 (2 adults and 2 hollow legged teenagers) eat 3 square meals a day plus snacks and with all the necessary vitamins and minerals for just over £100 per month. I found this a really helpful site.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Jo I'll take a look :-) unfortunately my husband is incredibly fussy and won't eat a lot of cheap meals I can think of! xxx

    ReplyDelete