Thursday 25 February 2016

Saving money on water bills


I've been brainstorming ideas for how to get my water bill down. It's currently £47 per month but I would really like to reduce this so I'm paying less to the water company and have more in my own pocket for debt repayment and to buy a car. We are lucky in that we have a water meter and in our garden we already have a water butt (the gutters are connected to this) and a rainwater tank which recycles the rainwater it collects to flush the downstairs toilet.

The average Brit uses 16 buckets of water a day and 1/3 of this goes down the toilet. I've placed tubs/buckets in the bathroom to catch the shower water to then flush the toilet with - it's amazing how much water just goes down the drain. Hubs isn't thrilled about this (!) but my daughter is fascinated and has to get involved with tipping the water down into the toilet. I haven't got one small enough to put in the sink so I need to get one to catch the hand washing water.


I wrote to our water company to ask if they could send me anything to help me save water and they kindly obliged! Check out what they sent: a timer for shorter showers, tap inserts, a shower regulator and a displacement device which says it saves 1.2 litres of water every time it's flushed. I can't wait to fit these later.


I need to work on hubs to get him to not leave the tap running when he's brushing his teeth and to have an 'let it mellow' policy, check if clothes are dirty or smell before washing them. 
I washed my hair and turned the shower off between wetting hair, putting shampoo on, I have to admit it was cold! But fingers crossed that all these little bits will add up and help reduce our water bill.

On another note we had friends over for a play date today so as the sun was shining we walked down to the park (free activity - the best kind!) xx

No comments:

Post a Comment